TJ Watt, of Ancient Forest Alliance, was exploring this incredible grove in 2009 when he saw flagging tape that represented immediate logging. A global campaign was embarked upon and was successful in lobbying the provincial government to preserve Avatar Grove and within it: Canada’s Gnarliest Tree. Avatar Grove has upper and lower trails to explore and its diverse eco system. The Ancient Forest Alliance should be commended for their determination and hard work first to preserve and then to create the boardwalks in Avatar Grove. It surely is a must “To Do” while visiting in Port Renfrew.
- Zero your odometer at the beach house.
- Using the map, drive the same route as if you were driving towards Lake Cowichan. Except at 3.4 km, take a left hand turn once you have crossed over the bridge.
- Continue on the Gordon River Mainline (gravel road).
- At 8.6km you will cross a very high bridge over the Gordon River.
- At 10km, park and find the trailheads (on either side of the road).